For 20 generous slices you will need...
250g dark chocolate
250g crunchy amaretti biscuits
100g soft butter
150g caster sugar
3 large eggs
2 tbsp amaretto liqueur
2 tbsp cocoa powder
75g whole blanched almonds (roughly chopped)
75g dried cranberries (roughly chopped)
50g whole shelled pistachio nuts (roughly chopped)
Icing sugar to decorate
You Will Need To...
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water then set aside to cool. Place the biscuits into a bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they resemble rubble.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and soft, then beat in the eggs one by one. Stir in the amaretto liqueur.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the cooled melted chocolate, stir until combined then add this mixture to the egg mixture. When you have a smooth chocolatey mixture fold in the crushed biscuits, chopped nuts and cranberries.
- Put this mixture in the fridge to firm up for about half an hour.
- Place 2 large, overlapping pieces of clingfilm on your work surface, and tip the chilled mixture onto this. Mould it into a long log about 30cm long - this can be quite messy - you have been warned!
- Cover the log with the clingfilm and roll it until it is a smooth round cylinder. Twist the ends by holding both ends and rolling the log towards you.
- Place the log in the fridge to chill overnight - this will ensure it is firm and slices well.
- Once it is set, sprinkle icing sugar onto a large piece of greaseproof paper and roll the log into it. This makes it look like an authentic salami. To add more authenticity, use some string to tie it up (see pics).
- Serve cold in generous slices.
Enjoy! C x