Monday 7 April 2014

Tomato Soup Cake

Student life and life during the war have one thing in common- the cupboards are always empty. This cake was originally made during the war as it lasts a lot longer than your average sponge cake, it comes somewhere between a carrot cake and a fruit cake - I think it gets better with age. 'Tomato Soup Cake' perhaps does not sound the most appetizing, however I discovered that a tin of tomato soup in this cake really does work - I enjoyed making my friends guess what the secret ingredient was! Originally I spotted the recipe on Food52, however after discovering that my student store cupboard ingredients were not quite up to providing all the spices in their recipe, I simplified it to make it more student friendly. I have since made the cake again with all the spices, both versions were equally delicious, so delicious that my dog tried to have a slice while I was photographing it! 


You will need...

250g plain flour
170g caster sugar 
4 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of cinnamon 
3/4 of a tin of tomato soup
2 large eggs 
A mug full of raisins 

For the icing...

100g of cream cheese
200g icing sugar 

You will need to...

-Preheat the oven to 180C and grease two 8 inch cake tins.
-Mix together all ingredients apart from the raisins, this will make a smooth pink batter. 
-Fold in the raisins, then pour the batter into the cake tins.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- In the meantime, mix the cream cheese and icing sugar together in a mixing bowl, keep adding the icing sugar until you get smooth icing with a thick consistency- if you don't add enough icing sugar the icing will drip off the cake and look messy.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before icing.



Enjoy Z! x

2 comments:

  1. Tomato Soup? In a cake? Sounds like something Heston Blumental would dream up! And it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You should give it a go - it is weirdly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete